Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My First Orchid

I love Orchids!
I want to fill my apartment and future house with them!
I want to have every color of the rainbow!
I only have five, well six if you count the baby one attached to my Red Emperor.

I don't really have a problem I just can't seem to talk enough about them. So I decided to try blogging about my precious babies. I am new to orchid raising but I thought I could share the little bit I've learned and possibly help out the new orchid owner as they search for helpful posts.

My addiction was started by my wonderful fiance when he bought me one to make me feel better. He saw a beautiful purple orchid in Smiths while he was out buying his sick fiancee some miso soup. 


This is the beauty he brought home to me, a white Phalaenopsis orchid. Yes, I said white because when this girl blooms again the flowers will be white. The throat of the the flower might come out pinkish in color. I figured this out when a co-worker I was describing my orchid to asked me if it was dyed because the colors didn't sound normal. I also thought it odd that I hadn't been able to find another one quite like it on Google images. After finding and reading the tag that came with the orchid I learned it was part the their "gem stone" collection and that it was indeed dyed. 


This is a photo of a white Philadelphia that has not been dyed. Not all of them have natural pink throats; however, some have a light yellow color. 


Months later after my plant had already gone into rest and been trimmed I noticed a green piece of tape around one of its spikes. After removing the tape I found where dye had been injected into my orchid. My fingers came away purple and I felt bad for this poor plant but it seems healthy and I will love the white flowers next time it's in bloom! 

I guess buyer beware and read labels! 
My next post will be on rest and where to trim your orchid. 

~Happy Planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment