Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ice Cube Method of Watering

In my last post I said I would be posting on rest period and trimming, but it occurred to me that the first thing new orchid parents might be researching would probably be watering. I'd like to help out with this first since it is so easy to drown your orchid. I've talked to several people who read the little label on their new plant which said they love moisture and humidity and just assumed that their plant needed a ton of water. Humidity is not the amount of water in the soil they are planted in but the water percentage in the air.

An easy way to water an orchid is with a few ice cubes once a week. My day of the week happens to be Tuesdays. I've found that making a consistent watering schedule helps to keep from over watering. There have been times though when I've checked my plant and it seemed too dry. When this happens I wiggle my pinkie down into the soil just a little, so just my finger nail is under the surface. If the soil still feels dry and you don't want to add another ice cube take a spray bottle with plain water and spray the top layer. I'll often do this mid-week between watering because I live in a very dry region. You are trying to make humidity in the bark chips or moss around the roots so they don't have to be wet but damp.

    

If you have a lot of air roots showing above the soil and you don't want to place a really cold ice cube on top of them you can melt the ice cubes first (or just use an equal amount of water). The amount of ice cubes or water you give them depends on the size of pot they are in. My miniature Phalaenopsis who is planted in a pot the size of a Dixie cup only gets one ice cube. Melting your ice cubes first or measuring out your water does make it easier to add fertilizer as well.




Just make sure to not let your orchid sit in water! My bigger orchid here has a saucer that will collect the water if it gets too much. My mini however is in a clear plastic pot inside of this white ceramic pot and after the ice cube is melted I will lift it up and pour out the extra water. Many store bought orchids typically come in pots that are not suited for orchids. I will be re-potting this orchid after its gone through rest.


~Happy Planting!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to one day own an orchid and not kill it. Thank you for this blog. It will be very helpful to me when I do get an orchid.

    ReplyDelete