Monday, January 12, 2015

Orchid Pots!!!

We know from my post on watering that orchids don't like to sit in water. Well here's another helpful tip when picking out a pot: bigger is not better. Orchids like to be snug in their pot so putting them in a larger pot can actually prevent them from producing flowers.


These are the pots some of my store-bought orchids came in (which are not good for your orchids!) There is no drainage in these pots at all and your orchids run the risk of sitting in water unless you add some sort of space at the bottom for the water. If you have an orchid planted in one of these make sure to tip them over and let the extra water run out. 



These plastic pots are quite nice, they allow for great drainage and have holes along the sides for the roots to breath. Many orchid pots have holes all along the sides to let air get to the roots which is very important for your orchid.


So both of these have just one hole in the bottom which works just fine for draining. The only trick I've learned with these is to put them in a tray with beads. You want them to drain well but putting them on a hard surface will prevent it from doing so. 


I bought the blue one (right side) online I like it because they use the holes to make decorative flower shapes! The other three I found at Lowe's and one of my orchids currently lives in one. You can also find nice terracotta pots with holes as well. 


You can also make your own pots.... I'm sensing a DIY post in the future!

Happy Planting! 

1 comment:

  1. I love the pot with holes in a flower pattern. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete